Board Highlights - November 13, 2019
The Board of Trustees is pleased to provide you with the highlights of our board meeting held on November 13, 2019. To view full highlights, click here.
- Superintendent Barron, Deputy Superintendent MacDonald and Division Principal Siemens met with Janet Rockwell and Kari Morgan from Alberta Education.
- Superintendent Barron and Division Principal Siemens have been working collaboratively with principals and the Technology Services department to create a PowerSchool report card.
- Superintendent Barron, Deputy Superintendent MacDonald, Director of Inclusive Learning Gosse and Division Principal Siemens attended the fall CASS conference.
- Superintendent Barron, Deputy Superintendent MacDonald and Division Principal Siemens have met with the principals of Byemoor, Colony, Coronation and Brownfield for the fall Generative Dialogues. During their visit, they have also been meeting with Grade 6, 9 and 12 teachers to discuss Achievement and Diploma results.
- At the November LLT meeting, principals were given an overview of concept-based learning. This is the pedagogical approach used to develop the new K - 12 curriculum.
- Deputy Superintendent MacDonald presented on a panel at the CASS conference on “What is Concept-based instruction?”
- Division Principal Siemens is currently observing new teachers throughout Clearview.
- Literacy Coordinator Coppock is currently working with the staff at various schools on Literacy and STAR Reading and presented at the November PD day.
- Literacy Coordinator Coppock presented the Clearview Literacy Journey at the Provincial Literacy Leads meeting.
Clearview supporting families in need during the holidays
A donation of $1,225 from the Board of Trustees will be provided to four food banks in our communities. The Trustees are waiving their per diem from the December Board Meeting to fund the donation. The donation will be divided between Big Valley, Castor, Coronation and Stettler food banks based on student populations across Clearview Public Schools. The Board of Trustees uses this opportunity during the holiday season to provide a donation to the local food banks on behalf of Clearview staff, in lieu of staff receiving a gift. In past years, Clearview staff have shown appreciation for the Board providing this help to families in need during this time of year.
Final (Fall) Budget considerations discussed for 2019-20
Associate Superintendent Neale presented the 2019-20 final (fall) budget update. Following the October 24 announcement by the Alberta Government that Clearview will receive $400,000 less in funding, the Board worked to develop a plan to support schools.
Two main actions were provided by the Board on October 30, 2019 in finalizing the 2019-20 budget: one, that schools will be able to continue with their staffing and expenditure plans submitted October 21 for 2019-20 and two, the final budget will not include additional regular staff positions than what was presented at the Board meeting except for staffing that may be needed for the nutrition program.
At the November 13, 2019 meeting, due to the requirements of the Mandatory Entry-Level Training Standards (MELT) training and transportation accountability/monitoring, the Board approved increasing Transportation Services by a 0.5 FTE Administrative Assistant for 2019-20 and an increase to Transportation Services reserve by $50,000 from unrestricted
Further, Child & Family Services Authority (CFSA) was budgeted to provide $130,252 towards supporting our Family School Liaison (FSL) staffing. Clearview has received notice that this program will be ending March 31, 2020. The result with be a reduction in FSL funding of $54,271 for this year and a future reduction of $130,252 in future years. The Board approved increasing Inclusive Services reserve by $50,000 from unrestricted reserves to maintain FSL staffing for 2019-20.
The Final (Fall) Budget deadline has been extended to January 6, 2020 by the Alberta Government. For more information, click HERE.
2019 holiday concerts schedule
Clearview Public Schools invites you to celebrate the holiday season with students and staff throughout Clearview and in your community. For the full schedule, please click HERE.